Thursday, December 27, 2007

M.I.A. wtf?

In her continuing quest for pop-culture domination, Maya Arulpragasam has been collecting more awards and accolades than she knows what to do with. The latest: Blender Magazine's best album of 2007. And of course, never one for brevity, Maya monologued in her interview about the "struggles" of being a refugee and how much her ex-boyfriend, Diplo, was a huge dick:
Meanwhile, I broke up with my boyfriend Diplo. It was a bit of a nasty split. Diplo is American, and I really wish he'd spoken up for me during my whole immigration saga. I was in so much trouble, but he never stuck his neck out to support me. Just a word or two in the press could have helped. He talks about helping black kids in the ghetto, about saving poor kids in the Brazilian favela, and yet he couldn't spare a word to help me, a refugee from Sri Lanka, par of a race that's dying out! The opening lines to "BirdFlu" describe exactly how I felt: "Big on the underground/What's the point of knocking me down?"
Now hold on just a sec. did she just trash talk her ex-boyfriend in a national publication? yes, she did. was it warranted? i think not. first off, that was tactless, and second, what the f%&k is she so pissed off about. so the U.S. government decided her song content and her familial links to the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam made her a terrorist. what the f$%k was Diplo supposed to do about that? Sure he's fairly critically acclaimed, but he isn't Susan Sarandon. did she really think he could just call the NYtimes and bitch and everything would be better? (let's also not forget the only reason we like her first album is because diplo produced the beats and that the piracy funds terrorism mixtape was much better than her actual album)

whether she likes it or not, the best thing that happened to her career was being labeled a terrorist. sure i love paper planes and the first album was fun, but let's face it: M.I.A.'s fame is 70% image, 30% music. Also, i'm getting kind of tired of listening to this bitch tell us how hard her refugee/immigrant life has been. yeah we all know you had to escape Sri Lanka because your daddy was a Tamil general (or something like that), but why don't you start singing songs about being a little W. European capitalist in London?

if that's not enough she has the balls to brag about how she's above it all, living in Bed-Stuy, Bklyn with the other "outsider" African immigrants. Well that's a lot of bullshit when your clothes cost more than your rent and you're making a million plus a year. M.I.A., i think you're really hot and your music is cool. but don't let it get to your head, or sooner than later you're just gonna be another washed up Gwen Stefani, making shitty albums and even shittier clothing.

and Diplo, don't sweat it buddy, you're still cooler than the other side of my pillow.
(and if anyone forgot why cop these tracks asap)

Diplo/Pase Rock - The Motherfucking Rave is Over
Diplo - Shhake it Up (Twist and Shout)
Hot Chip - Shake A Fist (Diplo Remix)
Spoon - Don't You Evah (Diplo Remix)
The Black Lips - Veni Vidi Vici (Diplo Remix)
M.I.A. & Diplo - China Girl (Diplo Mix)
M.I.A. & Diplo - Fire Bam (Diplo Mix)

and one more time for the ladies:
Diplo - The BBC Radio1 Essential Mix

1 comment:

rachael said...

hear hear. i love her with all my heart, but come on. she's been all "blahblahblah I DID IT ALL MYSELF and everyone gives HIM all the credit" and puts this misogynist spin on all the critics who PRAISE her. get over it lady.